On this article, we’ll information you thru the fundamentals of getting began with the Profoto A1X to create pure trying photographs with flash. We’ll take you all through the fundamentals of methods to set your digicam and flash, to create gentle and exhausting mild, methods to direct it for various functions and eventually methods to use gels in a artistic manner.
We requested marriage ceremony and portrait photographer Paul Von Rieter to assist us show this in 4 quick video tutorials utilizing the Profoto A1X.
Tutorial tip 1
The best way to get began with flash
Step 1. All the time set your digicam first
Begin by deciding what depth of discipline you need in your picture by setting your aperture. That is your artistic choice and shouldn’t be modified until you truly wish to change the depth of discipline within the picture. For the picture above, Paul needed a shallow depth of discipline, so he selected an aperture of two.0.
To keep away from a typical “flashy look” (the place the background is darkish, and the topic is closely lit by flash) you possibly can let extra of the ambient mild into the image by altering the shutter velocity. Within the picture above, Paul uncovered for the background to make it possible for each the sky and water had been effectively uncovered and selected a shutter velocity of 1/500th of a second.
If you wish to carry extra mild into the picture however find yourself getting a shutter velocity that’s too gradual, it’s going to create movement blur. On this case, you possibly can enhance your ISO as an alternative to work at a sooner shutter velocity.
While you’ve selected all of your digicam settings, it’s time to introduce flash.
Step 2. Introducing flash / selecting between TTL and handbook
When must you use TTL and when must you use handbook mode? As soon as once more, that is as much as you because the photographer, however we’ll provide you with some ideas.
TTL will talk with the digicam and mechanically change the flash energy stage relying on the encircling ambient mild. It will aid you get an excellent flash publicity regardless of how the topic strikes.
- When the topic is transferring round: at occasions, on a busy marriage ceremony dance ground or while you wish to seize a shot of a kid operating round, and so on.
- While you need automated settings and don’t wish to fear about discovering the precise flash energy
In handbook mode, the flash energy stays within the energy setting that you just’ve determined. Guide mode will put you, the photographer, in management, similar to handbook mode in your digicam.
- While you don’t want to regulate for ambient mild that adjustments always
- When the space between the topic and the flash is fixed
- The photographer who needs to be in full management of the settings
- If you would like roughly flash mild, you possibly can modify this utilizing flash compensation in your digicam (TTL mode) or by spinning the wheel on the Profoto A1X (handbook mode)
While you’ve uncovered for the background utilizing the settings in your digicam and set your flash to the right settings, it’s time to start out taking pictures!
Tutorial tip 2
The best way to create gentle and exhausting mild
The quick clarification
Gentle mild is the time period for when the shadow edges (the gradient between darkish and vibrant) are huge. The softer the sunshine, the much less sharp the shadows will appear. Arduous mild is the alternative, with crisp and sharp shadows. A bigger mild supply creates gentle mild and a small mild supply creates exhausting mild.
The best way to create gentle mild with the Profoto A1X
Creating gentle mild with the Profoto A1X could be performed in a number of methods. A simple choice is to bounce it right into a white wall or ceiling, which can mirror the sunshine. However typically there’s nothing to bounce into: the ceiling could be black or maybe you’re taking pictures outdoors. In these conditions, you should use a number of the merchandise beneath as an alternative.
The best way to create exhausting mild with the Profoto A1X
Perhaps you’ve observed that taking pictures outdoors in direct daylight creates exhausting and crisp shadows? The rationale for that is that the solar is a small mild supply, seen from our distance.
If you wish to mimic the look you get from daylight, utilizing a small flash straight in your topic will create exhausting and crisp shadows, just like these you get from the solar.
Tutorial tip 3
The best way to direct on-camera flash
The Profoto A1X rotates 360 levels, that means that you would be able to direct it in a number of methods. Within the video above, Paul demonstrates three other ways you possibly can direct the Profoto A1X to create totally different seems relying on the state of affairs.
Flash straight on topic
- Fast and simple portraits
- Individuals in motion
- Fill mild while you’re outdoors
- Use TTL for automated flash publicity when the topic is transferring
Flash right into a ceiling
- Making a softer mild (as a result of the sunshine supply turns into bigger)
- When the placement has a white ceiling (different colours could create undesirable colour casts)
- Add the Bounce Card on the Profoto A1X to get a catchlight within the mannequin’s eyes
- Be sure that the flash is definitely hitting the ceiling so the sunshine will bounce again
- If it’s too excessive up, it’s higher to vary the route of your flash
Flash right into a wall
- Making a softer mild, when the ceiling is a colour aside from white
- Creating facet mild and a few route of the shadows
- Be sure that the flash is definitely hitting the wall. If it’s too distant, it’s higher to vary the place of the flash
- A Profoto Collapsible Reflector may also be used to create facet mild, if no wall is close by
Tutorial tip 4
The best way to be artistic with gels
Congratulations, you’ve got now realized methods to set your digicam and flash, methods to create gentle and exhausting mild, and methods to direct your flash in three other ways.
So, let’s get artistic!
As a natural-light photographer, you most likely love the photographs you possibly can create in golden hour and blue hour mild. And no marvel, the sunshine it gives is wonderful. However as you most likely know, pure mild is unpredictable and may’t be managed. With flash, you possibly can recreate this look, it doesn’t matter what time of day it’s.
Creating golden hour mild
The nice and cozy, orange mild that seems proper earlier than the solar is about to set.
The best way to re-create it with flash
Place the Profoto A1X on a stand behind the mannequin (within the video, Paul is utilizing a Manfrotto Nano Pole stand)
Add the Profoto Clic Gel Full CTO on to the Profoto A1X to get a heat mild within the background
Connect a distant, such because the Profoto Join, in your digicam’s sizzling shoe to wirelessly join your digicam and flash
- Change the place of the flash to get the “daylight” precisely the place you need it
- Improve or lower energy in the event you suppose it’s too little or an excessive amount of
Creating blue hour mild
The chilly, blue mild that seems earlier than dawn within the morning and after sundown within the night.
The best way to re-create it with flash
Change the Kelvin setting (colour temperature) to beneath 4000 in your digicam to get a cooler background and to match the sensation of blue hour
Add a Profoto Clic Gel CTO in your Profoto A1X to get a impartial colour within the mannequin’s face
For extra ideas and methods on methods to use flash, go to Profoto Academy
Hope you loved this fast introduction on methods to get began with the Profoto A1X. If you wish to see extra ideas and methods on methods to use flash for various functions, try Profoto Academy.